Alexej Lux

Born in Spisske Podhradie, Alexej Lux was an important sculptor of his time. Studing in Budapest, Vienna and Munich, Lux also taught at an artistic-industrial school in Budapest. His masterpieces are placed in Paris, Budapest, and Amsterdam as well as in the cemetery in Spisske Podhradie and in the town of Spisska Nova Ves. 

František Hutyra

(born 07/10/1860 in Spisske Podhradie – died 20/12/1934 in Budapest)

He was an extraordinary student who studied at the grammar school in the towns of Klastor pod Znievom, Eger and Levoca. Hutyra studied veterinary medicine at the university in Budapest. Then he studied in Vienna, Berlin, Paris and Munich. As a member of Hungarian Academy of Sciences, he lectured pathological anatomy, hygiene of flesh and forensic medicine and dealt with the research of contagious diseases of domestic animals. Hutyra found out what is the cause of plague of pigs. He is an author of an important piece of work about the pathology and the therapy of domestic animals. It was published in eight languages. He was instrumental in modernisation of veterinary administration in Hungary and that is why he was promoted to the rank of nobility.

Ján Harmatta

As a famous Slovak scientist, Harmatta conducted business in Spisske Podhradie. He established factory that produced spikes, chains and iron barrels and employed approximately 200 workers. He was instrumental in installation of an electric current in the town. Jan Harmatta was an author of many inventions dealing with welding and processing of semi-finished products. The most famous is resistance point spot-welding. He was granted a patent on his invention in the USA. This invention is still used when producing bodyworks of cars. There is his memorial room in Spisske Podhradie. It is possible to enter Jan Harmatta´s room with the TIC employee.

Jozef Špirko

Jozef Špirko

(born 02/04/1896 in Spisske Podhradie – died 30/10/1954 in Presov)

He was born as one of seven siblings and his father worked as chapter´s woodman. Young Jozef attended Roman-catholic folk school in the native town – Spisske Podhradie, later he attended grammar school in Levoca where he started considering priesthood. Consequently, Spirko began his study in a small seminary in the town of Roznava and in 1917-1918 he continued studying in the Spis Chapter House. He was sent by diocesan bishop Jan Vojtassak to study more thoroughly in Vienna. After his studies Jozef Spirko worked as chaplain in the town of Zazriva and in the town of Kezmarok. He established a grammar school here. When he published his rigorous thesis Of Miracles in the New Testament the bishop Vojtassak made him professor of canon law and ecclesiastical history in the Spis Chapter House. The qualified professors´ staff worked here at that time. Jozef Spirko was an enthusiastic guardian of monuments and culture.  Thank to him the first Diocesan Ecclesiastical Museum was established in 1936 but the war destroyed it majorly. He was to stand trial on a charge of protecting the museum and was meant to be executed secretly in a forest. The soldier who should have executed him let him go and the professor was hiding in the village of Uloza until German military force left. Professor Spirko contributed to the magazines Verbum, Spiritual Shepherd and Resurgence. He was an author of several books, namely Artistic-historical Monuments in Spis, Art Monuments in the Spis Chapter House, Spis Historian Jozef Hradsky, Priesthood Education in Spis Diocese etc.

His most important piece of work, the result of his scientific skills is so far the only Slovak manual of ecclesiastic history, double-beam piece of work called Cirkevne dejiny s osobitym zretelom na vyvin cirkevnych dejin Slovenska (Ecclesiastic History with an Individual Aspect on the Development of Ecclesiastic History of Slovakia). In 1950, after the internment of Bishop Jan Vojtassak, Jozef Spirsko was arrested and under the physical and mental pressure he was required to testify against bishop Vojtassak. Spirko did not deny his bishop and that was a reason why he was forbidden by the state institutions to work in Spis diocese. Ill and left with marks the cruel interrogation, he was assigned to the parish in the village of Fricovce that belonged to the Kosice diocese. Strong pains and continuous lung disease forced him to go to the hospital in Presov in 1953 and this significant personality died in October in 1954.

Štefan Cisko

(born 28/12/1898 in Spisske Podhradie – died 08/12/1980 in Spisske Podhradie)

Young Stefan Cisko attended today´s J. Francisci-Rimavsky´s grammar school in Levoca. Then he continued studying at Teaching Institute in the Spis Chapter House that was very significant at that time. He finished his studies in 1919 and became director of People´s School in the village of Nemesany as a young teacher. He was famous for his intelligence and active help to people in need. Apart from pedagogical activities he devoted his time to study local history. Regularly, he was publishing articles in the newspaper called Spisske Hlasy and Vychodoslovenske Noviny. As a citizen of Spisske Podhradie he wanted to leave traces of the history of the town for the future generations. He wanted to establish national geography group. The intention was successful and the teachers and enthusiasts started collecting and concentrating monuments regarding the history of Spisske Podhradie into the building of evangelic vicarage in the Pales Square. This is how the room including homeland artefacts was created. The great amount of exhibits proved that the citizens understood the meaning of the room. The local museum was given more than 900 artefacts to show.

We have 4 guests and no members online

Mariánske námestie 34
053 04 Spišské Podhradie
tel. +421 (0) 53/4195133
tic.spisskepodhradie@gmail.com